Pasta is an unleavened dough product, which is made up of durum wheat semolina and water, originated in Italy and considered as Italian cuisine. Dried pasta and fresh pasta are the two broad categories of pasta processed and consumed in various types of sizes and shapes. Innovation has led to the evolution in commercial production of fresh pasta with improved palatability and enhanced nutritional content. Fresh pasta is manufactured from all-purpose flour, “00” low-gluten flour, eggs, and water either by large-scale machinery or traditionally by hand. They are not subjected to the drying process like dry pasta rather are pasteurized and stored at a temperature below 4°C. Size and shape of fresh pasta vary from long pasta, short pasta, filled pasta, tubes, ribbons, flat pasta, sheets, and miniature shape. Most widely known forms of fresh pasta are ravioli, tortellini, cannelloni, orecchiette, cavatelli, lasagna, pappardelle, and fettuccine. Traditionally, fresh egg pasta is made from egg yolk and flour with refined texture and flavor. The manufacturing and consumption of pasta are established from historical times and are known by different names in different parts of the world.
COVID-19 scenario analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic has highly affected the production of fresh pasta market, as the procurement of raw materials has been delayed and has further affected the sales and revenue of fresh pasta market.
- The global supply chain has been hampered due to the export and import ban from one country to another, for instance, pasta sold in the UK has procurement of raw materials from Canada and further processing in Italy. Subsequently, the transportation is done by trucks through Europe and further to the UK wholesale distributors. Fresh pasta practically has a shorter shelf life due to which late deliveries have impacted the fresh pasta market.
- The panic buying of staple products such as fresh pasta due to the lockdown scenario has led to a shortage of product in the supermarket.
- The saleof fresh pasta in restaurants and specialty stores has declined due to their shut down and has impacted the revenue of the market.
Top impacting factors: market scenario analysis, trends, drivers, and impact analysis
Fresh pasta has been made and consumed traditionally in households from earlier times. A variety of fresh pasta are manufactured locally by using fresh ingredients and served with different sauces. Alterations are made in fresh ingredients when processed at a large scale to enhance the shelf life. The advancement of food technology and innovation, the surge in R&D, new product development, an extension of the product line, improvement in existing fresh pasta, awareness of health consciousness among consumers, variants in fresh pasta, reduced cooking time of fresh pasta as compared to other varieties of pasta, the addition of healthy ingredients in fresh pasta, variety of colored pasta, procurement of high-quality raw material, enhanced palatability and organoleptic properties of the fresh pasta, increase in on-site consumption of pasta in restaurants, increasing requirement of fresh products, enhanced shelf life, availability of frozen fresh pasta, ready-to-eat fresh pasta, enhancement of nutritional value, enrichment and supplementation of essential nutrients, softer texture of fresh pasta, availability of vegan fresh pasta, controlled moisture content of fresh pasta and increase in disposable income are the key drivers which lead the growth of fresh pasta market. However, the increased competition in the fresh pasta manufacturing companies, availability of alternative products such as dry pasta, traditional pasta manufacturing practices, product shelf life, and government regulations hinder the market growth. Whereas, good manufacturing practices, advancement in technology, and global pasta supply chain present new pathways for the organic pasta market.
The global fresh pasta market trends are as follows:
Increase in demand for fresh products
The commercial production of fresh pasta has brought a new trend in the fresh pasta market, the key manufacturers are inclined toward enhancing the shelf life of fresh pasta while keeping the nutritional value and freshness of pasta intact. Introduction of frozen, ready-to-eat pasta significantly contributes toward the growth of the global market. The use of rice, beans, potatoes, soybean, and fillings such as noodles, meat, cheese, herbs, mushrooms, and vegetables has presented a new pathway for innovation in the fresh pasta market. The investment in modern packaging techniques such as modified atmosphere packaging and deep freezing environment has been useful in preserving and preventing spoilage of fresh pasta.
Key benefits of the report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global fresh pasta industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the global fresh pasta market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global fresh pasta market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides detailed market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Questions answered in the global fresh pasta market research report:
- Which are the leading players active in the global fresh pasta market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
Fresh Pasta Market Report Highlights
By Distribution Channel
Key Market Players
Pasta Technologies Group, Pappardelle’s Pasta, Lilly’s Fresh Pasta, Giovanni Rana USA, PastificioMansi, PastificioGaetarelli, II Pastaio, PastificoBrema, Raffetto’s Pasta, The Fresh Pasta Co. Ltd., F. DivellaS.p.a, Pasta Jesce, Catelli Foods Corporation, VoltanS.p.a, Spaghetto Factory, Ugo Foods Group, Simplot Australia Pty. Ltd., RP’s Pasta Company