Molded Interconnect Device (MID) Market Outlook – 2027
Molded interconnect devices (MID) are injection-molded thermoplastic part with integrated electronic circuit. These 3-dimensional electromechanical components are molded with circuits using high temperature thermoplastics and the structured metallization, which opens new dimension of carrier circuit design to electronics industry.
These molded devices are used in consumer electronics sector for internal antenna of smartphones that replaces normal antennae stub. Use of this internal antenna as part of internal fixtures of phone, it reduces volume by achieving efficient space utilization. It is combined with internal parts of smart wearable devices such as circuit board, connector, and cables in the consumer electronics sector as it reduces assembly line, overall product weight and provides cost-effective features thereby optimizing additional cost.
In addition the design flexibility of such devices integrating electrical and mechanical functions in single product delivers high product reliability, less requirement for auxiliary secondary parts and reduces production cost and time. MID devices utilise recyclable environment-friendly thermoplastic materials and exclude flame-retardant manufacturing processes that enhances the efficiency and product quality standards in market.
Technological innovations over traditional PCB circuit reduces number of production steps through integration of high quality sensors, circuits, and implies that the molded interconnect device (MID) market share would undergo significant growth in coming years.
The global molded interconnect device (MID) market is segmented on the basis of manufacturing process, product type, industry vertical, and region. Based on manufacturing process, the molded interconnect device (MID) market is categorized into laser direct structuring, two-shot molding process, and film back injection molding. In terms of product type, the market is divided into antennae & connectivity modules, connector & switches, sensors, lighting, and others.
On the basis of industry vertical, the molded interconnect device (MID) market is segregated into consumer electronics, IT & telecommunication, automotive, healthcare, aerospace & defense, and others. Geographically, the market is analyzed across several regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa (LAMEA).
Top Impacting Factors
Rise in adoption of miniaturized molded interconnect devices in smartphones, tablets, smart devices as well as growth in automotive applications such as sensors, switches, smart LED light fixtures are primary factors fuelling the molded interconnect device (MID) market growth. However, lack of skilled workforce due to high technical expertise needed for manufacturing, high cost of tooling, raw materials and extent of incompatibility with other electronic systems are some factors hampering molded interconnect device market growth.
On the other hand, these components with space-saving circuitry and reduced number of wirings are used in portable medical devices such as glucose meters, hearing aids for medication to improve the diagnostic capabilities thereby boosting market revenue. In addition to this, extensive advancement in communication such as introduction of 5G mobile network is anticipated to present new pathways to molded interconnect device industry.
New Product Launches to Flourish the Market
Leading molded interconnect device market players in IC substrate fabrication adopt necessary steps to develop technology of circuit metallization by innovating new high-density packaging designs with reduced roughness for next-generation devices.
In June 2020, MacDermid Alpha Electronics Solution, global leader in speciality materials for electronics, announced the release of Systec SAP which is a family of high-performance build-up processes for IC substrate RDL. It provides multiple process flows for different materials as well as advancements in desmear, conditioning, activation and metallization steps. New design possibilities in high-density circuitry of IC substrate manufacturing are available for fine-line, ultra-fine line and flex materials.
The Systek SAP copper metallization process comprises of ionic palladium activation system, a zero-stress electroless copper metallization process and an optimal anti-tarnish. This imparts minimal roughness ensuring clean side walls and copper target pads. All together the Systek SAP family of semi-additive processes offer substrate manufacturers a user-friendly toolset for creating RDL with dimensions down to 5/5micron line/space for high-density packaging.
Surge in Use in Industrial and Automotive Applications
Molded interconnect devices focus on higher performance with smaller package size by integrating superior connection systems, electronics and software innovation to provide value to customers. The in-vehicle network cables, connector, media modules are secure, reliable and delivers superior bandwidth and signal integrity to operate across multiple system networks.
MID is used in various automobile applications such as steering wheel hubs, brake sensors among others as it reduces the wiring and combines the connector and housing in one piece. It incorporates all the required circuitry through selective plating as well as helps to reduce e-waste.
Key Benefits of the Stakeholders
- The study gives an analytical overview of molded interconnect device (MID) market forecast with current trends and future estimations to determine imminent investment pockets.
- The report provides information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed molded interconnect device (MID) market analysis.
- The molded interconnect device (MID) market trends are quantitatively analyzed .
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
COVID-19 Scenario Analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic is becoming more serious due to continuous global spread and unavailability of appropriate therapeutic and diagnostic systems. Since the outbreak epicenter was at Wuhan, China, the premium hub of manufacturing unit of electronic equipment and fabrication technologies, ongoing disruption has caused apparent changes in the overall demand and supply chain of molded interconnect device market.
- Manufacturing would not take off as soon as lockdown is lifted due to acute shortage of skilled workers who have already returned to their home states. In addition, inadequate transportation facilities do not allow all workers to travel back to cities after the restrictions are eased. Moreover, presence of few vendors providing molded interconnect devices won’t be able to meet overall huge demand in such short time thereby hampering the demand-supply chain.
- In response to overall supply-chain disruption device is anticipated to experience shortages. In addition the price of raw materials is expected to increase due to temporary halt in production of components thereby disrupting supply in this crisis scenario. In turn, this leads to a decline in the global revenue generated by the molded interconnect device market.
Questions Answered in the Molded Interconnect Device (MID) Market Research Report
- Who are the leading players in the molded interconnect device (MID) market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the molded interconnect device (MID) market size?
- What are the current trends that would influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Molded Interconnect Device Market Report Highlights
By Manufacturing Process
By Product Type
By Industry Vertical
Key Market Players
DuPont, Harting Mitronics AG, Molex, MID Solutions, RTP Company, LPKF Laser and Technologies, MacDermid, TE Connectivity, Johnan, Multiple Dimensions, 2E Mechatronic