Psyllium is obtained from the husk and seed of plant Plantago ovate (Plantaginaceae) and commonly known as isabgol. It has been used since olden times for its medicinal properties and as a fiber supplement for treating digestive problems. Commercially, psyllium is used as a food thickener and food ingredient in various food products such as breakfast cereals, ice creams, frozen desserts, and others. The psyllium husk is obtained from the milling process of seeds and is produced mainly for mucilage content, which is a clear, colorless, gelling agent and can form a gel in water. Psyllium is commercially available in the form of seeds, husk, husk powder, organic psyllium, capsules, and granules. The application of psyllium is extensively in food industries, pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, cosmetics, personal care products, and as an additive in livestock and poultry feed. According to FAO, India is the largest producer and trader of psyllium seeds.
COVID-19 Scenario Analysis:
- The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the harvesting and production of the psyllium plant due to the lockdown scenario being implemented in various countries.
- The manufacturing units have been shut down and the loss of manpower has led to a shortage of production.
- Export and import restrictions have caused a decline in sales and revenue of the psyllium products market.
- The supply chain has been highly affected due to transport restrictions.
- The post-COVID-19 scenario is anticipated for rising the requirement of psyllium product due to its beneficial properties and positive effect on health.
Top Impacting Factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Drivers and Impact Analysis
Psyllium has been used as dietary fiberand bulk laxative for curing and prevention of certain health conditions. Several types of research carried out on psyllium have introduced the beneficial properties of psyllium as a therapeutic product and also as potential ingredients for industrial use. The requirement of natural ingredients and bioceutical foods has impacted the production of psyllium products.The advancing R&D, the demand of nutraceutical and therapeutic products, organic farming, side effects of the conventional medicines, increasing harvesting and trade of psyllium plant, health benefits of psyllium products, industrial use of psyllium seeds, health consciousness and awareness of healthy diet, increase in digestive problems and sedentary lifestyle, psyllium as livestock feed and innovation in technology are the key drivers which lead the growth of psyllium products market. However, the availability of alternative products at a low price, increased competition in the market, high priced organic products,and allergies related to the producthinder the market growth.
The global psyllium products market trends are as follows:
Psyllium products as a health booster
Psyllium has been used extensively for treating constipation and controlling other disease conditions, as it has high nutritional value. The husk consists of 35% soluble and 65% insoluble polysaccharides such as cellulose, hemicelluloses and lignin, protein, carbohydrates, linoleic acid, oleic acid, linolenic acid, and others. It has been beneficial for clinical conditions such as constipation, hemorrhoids, ulcerative colitis, cholesterol level, diabetes mellitus, diarrhea, inflammation, colon cancer, and others. Therefore, it is serving as a high fiber source and prebiotic in functional and nutraceutical foods.
The properties of mucilage have led to a surge in its usage in the food industry as thickener, stabilizer, binder, and substitute in products such as ice cream, chocolates, bread, biscuits, rice, jam, health drink, beverages, instant noodles, breakfast cereals, and others. Thereby, the commercial use of psyllium products has extensively grown along with residential use. The use of psyllium in the livestock and poultry feed has also increased for the production of low cholesterol eggs and organic meat.
Extensive psyllium products
The key manufacturers have been investing in the R&D for the various properties of psyllium and developing the variants from seed and husk of the plant. They have been inclined toward organic farming for sustainable development and improved the quality of the product. Jyot Overseas Pvt. Ltd., a leading manufacturer in the psyllium products market have launched its products such as seeds, husk, husk powder, khakha powder, organic psyllium, and capsules in jar and pouch packaging.
Key Benefits of the Report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global psyllium products industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the global psyllium products market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global psyllium products market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides detailed global psyllium products market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Questions Answered in the Psyllium Products Market Research Report:
- What are the leading market players active in the psyllium products market?
- What the current trends will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
Psyllium Products Industry Vertical by Industry Vertical by Industry Vertical Report Highlights
By Industry Vertical
By Product Type
By Distribution Channel
Key Market Players
Atlas Industries, AEP Colloids, KV Agro Products, SatnamPsyllium Industries, BalisanaIsabgol, Abhyuday Industries, GayatriPsyllium Industries, Jyot Overseas Pvt. Ltd., Shree MahalaxmiPsyllium Pvt. Ltd, Keyur Industries, ShubhPsyllium Industries, Psyllium Labs LLC