Trans-butenedioic acid is another name for fumaric acid. Fumaric acid is traditionally made by oxidizing furfural with the help of chlorate in the presence of a vanadium catalyst. Maleic acid (hydrolysis result of maleic anhydride) is catalytically isomerized in aqueous solution to produce fumaric acid in industry. Fumaric acid can be found in lichen, Icelandic moss, and bolete mushrooms. Food & beverage manufacturing, paper processing, printing inks, and polymer resins are just a few of the industries that employ fumaric acid. The food and beverage industry is one of the main users of fumaric acid, and this trend is expected to continue during the projection period. Desserts, jellies & jams, drinks, confectionaries, and bread items contain fumaric acid.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
- COVID-19 has had a significant impact on the chemical industry worldwide. As a result of the societal limitations imposed in response to the pandemic, the industry's manpower has been substantially decreased.
- Some major chemical factories have been operating at 40-60 percent capacity due to manpower shortages and interruptions in the delivery of raw materials.
- Chemical manufacturing in China, according to the National Bureau of Statistics (China), decreased by roughly 20% in terms of production from January to April 2020, compared to the same period in 2019. As a result, these interruptions in 2020 have had a detrimental impact on the market
- Fumaric acid's market expansion is projected to be hampered by government regulations and rise in health awareness as a result of escalating health risks. Skin irritation, throat discomfort, nasal irritation, and kidney damage are all possible side effects of fumaric acid exposure.
Top Impacting Factors
- In the food & beverage sector, fumaric acid is used as an acidulant, pH controller, and taste enhancer. The global demand for fumaric acid has expanded due to the growth in popularity of processed foods and the increased use of flavoring additives.
- Fumaric acid is also chemically favorable for polymerization and esterification reactions due to the presence of carbon-carbon double bonds and two carboxylic groups. As a result, it is frequently used in the creation of alkyd and polyester resins that are long-lasting, have a rigid structure, and are chemically resistant.
- These resins are utilized in the construction and building industries. Other important end-users of fumaric acid are rosin paper sizes, printing inks, and medical & healthcare. During the projected period, increase in demand for sports and health drinks is expected to present a significant opportunity for fumaric acid.
Food & beverage Processing is Expected to have a Stronghold on the Market
Food processing is one of fumaric acid's most common uses. Fumaric acid is a common food ingredient that is used to keep food stable and impart acidity to many processed meals. The flavor of fumaric acid is sourer than that of citric acid. Mushrooms, lichen, fumitory, Iceland moss, and bolete all contain fumaric acid. However, fumaric acid is synthesized for use as a food additive, most typically from malic acid in apples. The hydrophobic nature of fumaric acid results in a long-lasting sourness as well as some flavor impact when employed as a food additive. Fumaric acid likewise lowers the pH level while adding only a small amount of sourness.
Fumaric acid is used in many processes and packaged foods for both stabilization and flavor enhancement. Fumaric acid may also be added to the edible casings of sausages. Fumaric acid is used to stabilize and add texture to certain dairy products. This acid is found in dairy items like chocolate milk and eggnog to help improve the flavor. Cheese products, such as processed cheese and cheese substitutes, contain fumaric acid. Overall, food processing applications are likely to drive demand for fumaric acid during the forecast period.
The Asia-Pacific Market is Anticipated to be Dominated by China
China is the largest economy in Asia-Pacific in terms of GDP. Even with the economic disruption created by the country's trade war with the U.S., the country's GDP grew by roughly 6.1 percent in 2019. China was the first country to be affected by the COVID-19 outbreak and the resulting lockdown; however, it was even the first to be released. The country has been plagued by coronavirus outbreaks, prompting more lockdowns. This has a significant impact on manufacturing, which is predicted to increase at a moderate pace through 2020.
Furthermore, a significant portion of the Chinese economy is dependent on foreign exports, which are still in short supply due to the COVID-19 outbreak-related lockdowns in several nations. This is expected to have a detrimental impact on China's business in 2020. The rise in construction industry is predicted to enhance demand for paints & coatings, adhesives & sealants, and rosin paper, which is projected to increase production of unsaturated polyester resins and alkyd resins, enhancing demand for fumaric acid in the country over the projection period.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the fumaric acid industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the fumaric acid market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the growth scenario of the fumaric acid market.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers and suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed fumaric acid market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in the Fumaric Acid Market Research Report
- Which are the leading players active in the fumaric acid market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is fumaric acid market prediction in the future?
- Which will be the niches at which players profiling with recent advancements should set a presence?
- What are the driving factors and opportunities in the market?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
- What are the challenges faced in the fumaric acid market?
Fumaric Acid Market Report Highlights
By End-user Industry
Key Market Players
Changzhou Yabang Chemical Co. Ltd., Prinova Group, The Chemical Company, Polynt, Nippon Shokubai, Dastech International, U.S. Chemicals, Thirumalai Chemicals, Fuso Chemical Co., Ltd., Bartek Ingredients Inc., Wego Chemical Group, Huntsman Corporation