Polylactic Acid (PLA) Market is expected to garner $5.2 billion by 2020, registering a CAGR of 19.5% during the forecast period 2013-2020. Polylactic acid (PLA) is a bio-degradable thermoplastic aliphatic polymer produced from lactic acid using various crops like corn, sugarcane, tapioca etc. as a raw material.
SEGMENTATION - WORLD PLA MARKET
Similar to other sustainable bioplastics, PLA market size has a huge great potential as material is being used in various packaging applications of food, beverages and other consumer product that have short shelf-life. Additionally, owing to its versatile characteristics, the material can be used in various high value applications in numerous end-user industries including textiles, constructions and automotive. Therefore, the production and consumption of the sustainable material is being facilitated by various governments around the world. Polylactic Acid market has witnessed a greater demand over the past five to six years.
MARKET DYNAMICS - WORLD PLA MARKET
Increasing consumer awareness, government incentives and easy availability of raw materials are the major factors driving market growth. However, the cost of PLA is comparatively higher than synthetic plastics, thus becoming a primary restraining factor for the market growth.
TOP FACTORS IMPACTING - WORLD PLA MARKET
The global PLA market has been segmented based on applications as packaging, agriculture, electronics, textiles, bio-medical and others. In 2014, packaging application garners the highest share of 65.2% in the in global market. This is principally due to the unique mechanical, thermal and barrier properties of PLA, which makes it a suitable material for packaging applications.
Top INVESTMENT POCKETS - WORLD PLA MARKET
Based on geography, the global polylactic acid market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and LAMEA regions. North America is the largest producer and consumer of PLA and accounted for about 49.6% of the global consumption in 2014. The North American region would continue to lead the market owing to large production capacity, feedstock abundancy, supportive legal framework, and rising consumer awareness for sustainability. However, the Asia Pacific market would grow at the highest rate due to upcoming production facilities in China and Thailand coupled with growing adoption of PLA market size in China, Thailand, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.
GLOBAL PLA MARKET SIZE, 2014-2022 (KT/$MILLION)
The leading market players profiled in this report includes NatureWorks LLC, Synbra, Corbion Purac, Hisun Biomaterials, Nantong Jiuding Biological Engineering Co. Ltd, Chongqing bofei biochemical products co., ltd. and Futerro.
POLYLACTIC ACID MARKET KEY BENEFITS:
- The study provides an in-depth market analysis with current and future trends to elucidate the imminent investment pockets in the market.
- Quantitative analysis of the current market and estimations for the forecast period 2014-2020 (Volume and Revenue) are provided to highlight the financial caliber of the market.
- Drivers, restraints and opportunities are evaluated to highlight the top factors responsible for market growth. Various segments are carefully evaluated to gauge the market potential.
- Porter’s five forces model of the industry illustrates the potency of the buyers and suppliers participating in the market.
- Value chain analysis in the report provides a clear understanding on the stakeholders involved in the market.
- Geographical analysis provides a detailed understanding on the market scenario across key regions.
PLA MARKET KEY SEGMENTS:
World Polylatic acid (PLA) market is segmented based on its applications and geography.
- North America
- Rest of APAC