Downstream processing means the recovery and purification of biosynthetic products, mainly pharmaceuticals from natural sources such as plant tissues, animal tissues, or fermentation broth. It is an important stage in the production of pharmaceuticals such as vaccines, hormones (e.g. insulin and human growth hormone), antibodies (e.g. infliximab & abciximab) & antibiotics; enzymes antibodies used in diagnostics; industrial enzymes; flavor and natural fragrance compounds.
The increase in demand for biopharmaceuticals and rise in R&D expenditure for biopharmaceutical companies majorly drive the growth of the market. This is since downstream processing steps play key role in providing quality and pure products. In addition, increased demands for new solutions, process optimization & cost reduction, and growth in use of techniques such as centrifuge to separate biological particles from suspension further fuel the downstream processing market. In contrast, high cost of instruments and the need for skilled professionals restraint the market growth.
This report segments the downstream processing market based on product, technique, application, end user, and region. Based on product, it is categorized into chromatography columns and resins, filters, membrane absorbers, single-use products, and other products. Based on application, it is classified into monoclonal antibody (MAbs) production, vaccine production, insulin production, erythropoietin production, immunoglobulin production, and other applications. In terms of technique, it is divided into purification, solid-liquid separation, and clarification/concentration. Based on end user, it is bifurcated into biopharmaceutical manufacturers and contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs). Based on geography, it is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
Some of the leading manufacturing companies are Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (U.S.), General Electric Company (U.S.), Sartorius Stedim Biotech S.A. (France), GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), and Danahar Corporation, Marathon Petroleum Corporation, and Merck KGaA.
- The study provides an in-depth analysis of the global downstream processing market, with current trends and future estimations to elucidate the imminent investment pockets.
- It presents a quantitative analysis from 2016 to 2023 to enable the stakeholders to capitalize on prevailing market opportunities.
- Extensive analysis of the market by product type assists in understanding the various forms of downstream processing available.
- Key players are profiled and their strategies are analyzed thoroughly, which predict the competitive outlook of the market.
- This report entails the detailed quantitative analysis of the current market and estimations through 20162023, which assists in identifying the prevailing market opportunities.
Downstream Processing Market Key Segmentation:
- Solid-liquid separation
- Chromatography columns and resins
- Membrane Absorbers
- Single-use products
- Other products (Consumables and Accessories)
- Monoclonal Antibody production
- Vaccine production
- Insulin production
- Immunoglobulin production
- Erythropoietin production
- Other applications
By End User
- Biopharmaceutical manufacturers
- Contract Manufacturing Organizations (CMOs)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA